Saturday, September 5, 2015

A birthday in Japan, the apartment app(still), and less running.

Hello all wonderful people!

Thank you for all the wonderful birthday wishes, cards, emails,
thoughts! どもありがとうございました!

Saturday
Awoke.ran.studied.cleaned.napped. Woke up at 3. Transcribed a few
hymns for the Japanese hymn book app! That can get a little
exhausting. Then emailed home. Followed by grocery shopping. Made the
decision to try and live off of peanut butter and jelly for a week.
がんばろう!Ate dinner, mabudofu, yum, delicious. Office work pilled up,
work, work, work. Made a video for the Adamson ふふ. Fixed outlook
account emails. Finished the day by cleaning.

Sunday
Woke up, got ready, went to DCS. I had probably my biggest slip up in
Japanese yet. They were asking about people coming to church that day,
and I remembered the woman I talked to on Monday while kubariing. Only
instead of saying I found a woman, I said girlfriend. I got konojou
and josei mixed up..well everyone thought it was pretty funny. But I
definitely won't be making that mistake anytime soon! Sacrament
meeting was good, and Sunday school was as well, I am enjoying
participating more and more in class. I have noticed my understanding
is almost all there (and if I don't understand the word, I can get
enough of the context to get the idea), but my speaking is pretty sad
still. I have really enjoyed reading in Japanese more and more. At
first it was really hard, but now I am recognizing more and more
kanji. The third hour was combined. It was a good lesson. Then we had
choir practice where we sung 152 choose the right (the only song we
have sung in choir). Lunch followed by a quick nap. Then we grabbed
bikes and went on an adventure to go to the Portuguese lady's house.
She wasn't home sadly so we housed the surrounding area. We then went
to a less actives house! Josey, it is shomas brother! But missionaries
haven't been able to get ahold of him for a while! It was an awesome
miracle! We found one man that invited us back the next week! That was
exciting, other than that it was just raining so it made for a wet day
of dendo. We came home, ate dinner, then finished up the video and
helped the assistants with weekly statistics.

Monday
Well I am one more year older. Hard to believe last year at this time
I was in America! After a great morning run. I was just getting out of
the shower when elder Moua yelled that I had an important phone call
so I needed to answer it right then. Confused I grabbed my towel and
answered the phone. It was President and Sister Wada! They sang happy
birthday to me and thanked me for the work I do in the office. It was
a nice call, however I would have liked to be a little dryer, and
maybe not wearing a towel when answering. We ate and had studies.
During companionship study I opened the packages and letters that were
sent. Since everyone else in the apartment had either fallen asleep
mid study or on a conference call. I took advantage of the few minutes
I had and opened my presents. I loved reading the cards from friends
and family! They were so much fun to read :) and I appreciated all of
them! I don't know how my parents knew but they nailed exactly what I
wanted, raspberry jam, and peanuts! That was such a great surprise!
After opening presents we finished studies. We went upstairs after
studies and showcased the video to the Adamson's, it was a great
video. Then I napped during lunch, followed by a long day of office
work. Trying to get that app working, I am getting closer and closer,
it is just finicky. Around 4 we went out for dinner at ippudo ramen!
Yum! They have one in New York so if any of you are ever over there
you should go! I o-susume it! Then back to the office for more work.
Around 6, people started showing up for FHE at the Wadas. Misu Kyodai
from Hachioji somehow remembered it was my birthday and brought me
chocolate! It was so kind of him! FHE was great, we learned about
prayer. Then we hard dessert, I tried to hide in the kitchen and do
the dishes afterwards but sister Wada found me and surprised me by
telling me I missed something in the living room. I walked in and
everyone surprised me by singing to me then one of the little kids
that came presented me with an ice cream Sunday with a candle on it!
It was way kind! It made for a great night. Most people there thought
I turned 20-23! Looks like my age will still be jacked up. I made the
realization that I have officially spent more of my adult life in
Japan than in America at this point. Wow. Overall it was an wonderful
birthday :)!

Tuesday
In the morning we went to Hachioji (my last area)! We had a training
about Facebook with all the new missionaries and trainers! It was a
great relaxed meeting! After the meeting we went to Go Go Curry! Talk
about natsukashi!! It was so fanningly delicious! Afterwards we came
home and began various office work. Me getting that app into a working
manner, it was exhausting, but I am making progress slowly but surely.
For dinner we stayed in and I ate a sandwich. Afterwards we had so
much work we had to stay in and finish it :(. It was exhausting.

Wednesday
We awoke and didn't go running because of the rain. Then we had staff
meeting upstairs in the Wadas living room. It took forever! Literally,
it was a 4 hour meeting which turned into elder Bates and I signing
that we wanted to go to shakers for lunch way bad! So we went! They
play old basketball reruns and have cardboard thin "American" pizza so
how could you go wrong? After fill our bodies with all you can eat
tuna and corn pizza. We went back to the office. Then sister Hart
showed up with her iPad. She jacked it up pretty bad, the screen was
all pixilated so we switched hers out and worked on getting things all
finalized for our apps. Then for dinner I took a nap. Afterwards we
got ready for eikaiwa, and the had a lesson with Yamane-San. He likes
to correct our Japanese a lot which can be frustrating, but it is nice
to know you are saying things right. We had a good lesson, we have an
uphill battle though. It's okay though he has a strong desire to
improve and learn. Eikaiwa was great we taught puns! It is so funny
watching them read the puns, realizing they don't understand them,
then it totally hits them at once and they laugh! Too great!

Thursday
We decided not to go running...well Elder Bates wasn't here so I took
a rest. Then we had studies. Afterwards we worked on our various
projects. Then we skyped Elder Berube...well now Brother Berube about
the apartment app. He helped us with debugger tools, and got the app
working pretty quick. He spent three hours helping us, which was way
nice of him. We continued working on getting things ready to be
finished. Afterwards we went out to dinner! We went to this skemen
shop! It was pretty good. It is like ramen only the noodles and soup
is separate. After we had sports night! It was fun, playing around the
world, and one-on-one. It was a blast. I think I will miss not having
ping pong in America.

Friday
We awoke to a run!! We actually had a new PR! Afterwards we had
studies! For language study I translated the app into Japanese! It is
slow progress but I am checking it as I go. After a good onion soup
for lunch. We went to work. I worked on the CSS of the app, going back
and forth over and over. But we got somewhere...slowly. We had a short
district meeting, then had more work. After our busy day we went out
to a traditional Japanese restaurant for dinner. It was pretty
delicious, tonkatsudon and soba noodles. Then we went to McDonald's to
get dessert..ice cream! We had the feeling to visit a specific person
so after we grabbed bikes and biked for an hour to visit a less
actives house. Upon arrival we knocked and a woman answered the door
to tell us that the place was a girls dorm! It wasn't were the less
active male lived...plus we had to bike home an hour so we hopped on
the bikes and booked it to make it home on time.

Ya'll have a good week now, ya here? I'll catch ya'll next week!

Big Hearts!

Elder Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment