Monday, December 29, 2014

A Christmas to remember, a massage chair, and a katana

Hello everyone!
こんにちわ 皆さん!

This week has been amazing, here is what I was up to;

月曜日 Monday
We had a normal preparation day, (bought groceries, emailed home, went
window shopping). Then that night we went Kubaring at shinyurigoka
(新百合ケ丘). It was awesome, I had quite a few teenagers come up to me and
we talked for a while. In fact on of the teenagers took a self with
his girlfriend and I. The people here are some of the nicest in the
world for sure.

火曜日 Tuesday
We went to a special needs home to sing and pass out cookies. Since I
had the whitest hair in the room I ended up dressing up as Santa. Fun
fact, Japanese Santa suits are a lot smaller than American Santa
suits. It was an experience for me that I will cherish forever. The
kids eyes were all filled with hope and excitement, truly an awesome
time. After that Elder Kennedy (no he isn't related to the president,
a lot of Japanese people ask him), he is also in my apartment, went on
splits. We talked to quite a few people. That night we met up with
Shin, one of our investigators, at the restaurant he works at. It was
super cool, see the attached pictures. I ate crab brain, squid and
prawns, all super fresh and delicious. After we went to the church and
gave him a tour,mover all an awesome experience.

水曜日 Wednesday
Christmas Eve! We went to Kichijoji for a mission conference. It was
really good, President and Sister Wada spoke. We watched Meet the
Mormons again, since a lot of the missionaries hadn't seen it yet.
Then had lunch it was pulled pork sandwiches, this was one of the few
times on my mission I have felt full. After we went back home to
machida and went to eikaiwa. I started playing piano and an older
Japanese women came up to me and asked if I could play a pile of songs
she had with her. To my surprise I could play all of them! It was
really neat. After we taught class and discussed the differences
between an American Christmas and Japanese Christmas.

木曜日 Thursday
Christmas! We woke up and had a normal study time, (we study from 8-11
everyday). For companionship study though we sang a few Christmas
songs then opened the presents our parents sent us. We then went to
the church so my companion could skype his family. Afterwards for
lunch we did what any 4 American men would do with pancake batter and
snicker bars! They were delicious! Then we had weekly planning. Then
we went to Naruse to have dinner with some investigators at an Italian
all you can eat place. On our way there were snowflakes falling, what
an awesome Christmas present. In Japan the all you can eat places, you
order your food with an iPad and they bring it out to you. Afterwards
we went to a recycle shop and looked at ties, they are all super
awesome and inexpensive here. I bought a tie but then realized one of
our investigators hadn't received a Christmas present this year. So I
gave it to him. I have truly realized the true spirit of Christmas,nit
has taken me 18 years but I finally know what it is. Christ is a free
gift to us,his life his ministry and his atonement. As missionaries
the closest this I have is service and a loving heart. I later found
out most adults don't receive presents on Christmas. How sad is that!

金曜日 Friday
I got to skype my family today! It was awesome to see them and talk to
them for what little time I could. It was good to hear they are doing
well. After we planned to go to the gym and work out but had the
impression to walk instead. So we walked and ended up talking to a
bunch of people . One man in particular was a middle school English
teacher. He was wearing a fishing hat of all hats and a sports outfit.
When we told the man he could be married to his wife forever his face
lit up with joy! What an awesome truth. On our way home I spotted a
massage chair in an alley way next to a small electronics store. I
told my companion who told me if I wanted it I had to go inside and
ask them myself he wouldn't help me at all. So we walked another ten
feet and I turned right around and walked into the store. I asked the
women if it were trash and she said yes. Then I asked if I could have
it. She then gave me a puzzled look and I asked again. To her surprise
I understood what she said, and replied yes, the massage chair
outside. She then laughed and said she would have to call her boss.
She then called the boss he said sure, and I wrote my name and number
down and we rolled the massage chair home. The chair works perfectly
fine and is a fantastic improvement to our apartment.

土曜日 Saturday
For the 5th time this transfer I went to kichijoji, which I am told is
very rare for any missionary. There we had a meeting for all the
foreigners. A Japanese man then explained to us in much detail the way
Japanese think, it was very informative and helpful for me. We then
went home and I split with Elder Bennion who is another missionary in
my apartment. He I from Oregon. We were walking our bikes home and saw
a recycle shop in an alley way. So we decided to look around, and I
found a Japanese katana replica! (You cannot buy real Katanas without
a license in japan and all the real ones are in museums) it was 24
bucks, which is literally a ridiculous price considering most are
about 1000 plus.

日曜日 Sunday
We had an awesome time at church, I found out my bishop is the voice
for Jesus in the bible videos translated into Japanese made by the
church. After church we went to a baptism in fussa, which is right
next to the American Air Force base in yokoda. So I was in Japan in an
American ward, for a Spanish baptism! I am constantly amazed that the
spirit can be felt no matter your age, race, language, or
ethnicity,not is all the same. When we arrived back to the apartment
there were pajamas waiting for us from a sister in our ward. She said
that she has adopted the four of us as her mother. That was a good
thing to hear when your mother in on the other side of the globe.

Thank you call for the Christmas wishes! I hope all of yours were
equally exciting!

Love,

Elder Nathan Dunn
ダーン 長老

No comments:

Post a Comment