Saturday, November 29, 2014

Flight Plans, Two Apostles, and Thanksgiving to Remember

Hello all!

I know you were probably wandering what happened to me and why I didn't email on Thursday, the day I normally email. The MTC Presidency switched our Preparation Day (day we email everyone, and do laundry, and get ready for the week). So I have the opportunity to email now. Just a heads up to everyone, I will not be emailing again until next Monday, December 8th. Then my emails will be coming much more regularly. 

Thursday 20th 木曜日
Our whole district went to the temple which was awesome! I really enjoyed going one last time, the next time I will go is in Japan!

Friday 21st 金曜日
Flight Plans ga arimasu! We received our flight plans and I leave Monday December 1st for the land of the rising sun! WAHOO! I arrive in the Narita Tokyo Airport at 3:15 local time the 2nd (which is still the first for you all living in the Americas). I have no idea what is going on after I arrive, I know I will meet my mission president at the airport and that is about it. 

Saturday 22nd 土曜日
My companion and I prepared to teach district meeting,which is like Sunday school, for Sunday. On Saturday Nights the teachers go home, so some MTC buildings are abandoned...literally. We went on a walk to discuss our companionship and decided to go into a building where there usually is a lot of people but on Saturdays there is no one, so studying was nice and quite. 

Sunday 23rd 日曜日
My companion and I taught district meeting, it was amazing. We focused on just asking questions and leading by the spirit it was way awesome. Stephen B. Allen came...again. When we were singing he got up, went to the microphone, and said we needed to sing faster we were putting him to sleep. He spoke on the importance of choice. It was really really good, he said that parents who let their children choose from an early age have the ability to make important decisions later in life. We watched Unto the Mountain of the Lord which is a movie about the Salt Lake Temple, it was really good, and I learned a ton!

Monday 24th 月曜意
I studied Christ's Life and Ministry in personal study, I am constantly amazed at what He did for all mankind. I have taken a liking to Basketball oddly enough, I just shoot hoops alone for the hour we have for gym, it is a good way for me to unwind and think. Brian sent me an awesome package! SUMO THUMBS! They were awesome! Cook kyodai (one of our teachers) talked about his mission for the entire 3 hour class period.. The stories he told were really really good! It made me super excited to go to Japan. 

Tuesday 25th 火曜日
Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles came to speak. He was awesome and super enlightening about why we serve and how to be effective missionaries. I really like what he said to the senior missionaries, He said that they should not try to recreate their bountiful wards where they serve but rather to help the wards flourish wherever they are assigned. For Thursday we practiced our choir song, it is come thou font of every blessing, which has never been sung at the MTC before, it was really really good. 

Wednesday 26th 水曜日
I had coaching with Fowers kyodai (another one of my teachers), we worked on memorizing the first vision in Japanese...talk about a tongue twister. I will be an expert at tongue twisters when I get home, the entire language is a long tongue twister. I feel like that if my mission is anything like these past few weeks have been I will have a very very busy mission. 

Thanksgiving 27th 木曜日
We woke up early for choir practice, then had a devotional right afterwards where Elder Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles came and spoke. At the beginning of his talk he brought up his granddaughters who were very happy to see their grandfather on thanksgiving. He then said he was going to do something different, and he did! He passed out 200 cell phones to the audience (we don't have cell phones here) and put a number up on the screen which was connected to his Ipad. He then said we could text him any question we wanted to and he would answer it! There were some really good questions asked and answered. After the closing song, I was siting next to Jennings Choro an elder in my district, and a man came right up to us and motioned for us to follow him, he then went up to two sister missionaries and did the same thing. We obeyed and were brought into the lobby where we met Elder Bendars family and were interviewed by the Church News over the event! It was pretty cool, we didn't get to meet him there though, they rushed him out pretty quickly. "Thanksgiving Dinner" was next and man was that sad...I just sat there and stared at my plate for a minute and thought to myself "this is where I'm supposed to be". We then had a service presentation about the church's humanitarian work and we were involved in a huge humanitarian project where we packaged meals for needy families. The goal was to beat the record set last year of 350,000 bags, we will find out soon if we did. After this we had a Thanksgiving presentation about why we celebrate the holiday, it helped the international missionaries understand what and why we celebrate the holiday. After that we watched Meet The Mormons and they gave us popcorn! It was a really good movie! After that the Presidency told us there was a surprise for us waiting outside, when we went outside to see all the Christmas Lights!

Friday 28th 金曜日
In-Field Orientation...Welp that is all that happened..Literally. We spent 9 hours in a devotional about involving members in missionary work. I wish I could say there was more exciting stuff than that but there really wasn't.

Saturday 29th 土曜日
I figured I could go over today as well since it is almost over. We did our laundry early this morning and are gathering everything together for leaving Monday. Today we had our last two classes with our teachers and took pictures with them. I can't believe I am already leaving! 

I will email you all next from the land of the rising sun!!

With love,
愛してます

Elder Nathan Dunn 



No comments:

Post a Comment